Monday, April 29, 2013

It Really Bugs Me When...

Christian artists sings songs with unclear and possibly harmful messages about God. I was listening to K-LOVE last week (because I had forgotten to grab my iPod) and I heard this song with a lyric that basically said, "I could write the most beautiful song in the world and it still wouldn't be enough."

And I was like,















Now, I know that they probably meant, "I could write the most beautiful song in the world and it still wouldn't be enough to reflect how amazing You are." But it comes across that our best and most beautiful creations are "not enough...for God." Like God is some judgmental critic, sticking his nose in the air when we sing off key or write a poem that doesn't deserve a Nobel Prize. (However, I do think God wants you to stop letting children speak/sing-talk 1/3 of your songs. Please.)

Which is why I love the message behind Amy Grant's "Better Than a Hallelujah." Yes, we should do our best for God, whatever our endeavors. However, artists need to be careful when they push the message that us and our various ways of glorifying God are insufficient.

No, there is no way that we as faulted creature/creations can fully express the immense glory of our Creator. However, our Creator made us in His image so whatever we do, if it's to glorify Him and his Creation, then it is "enough."

This is not my most eloquent post, but I think you all get the gist of what I'm saying. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment